Portable Currency Converter Software
It is a portable currency converter software, that can convert between most world currencies. It downloads the latest conversion rates as needed, and can then be used offline, using the downloaded data. You can set a custom domestic currency, and also save frequently used currency pairs. Very useful for investors/traders, internet shoppers, tourists or any users who wants to convert their domestic currency value to a foreign currency amount.
It extracts the latest currency exchange rate from Yahoo! Finance.
- File size: 18KB
- Date updated: Feb 18, 2009
- Platform Available: Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP/Vista
- Platform Tested: Windows 95/2000/XP/Vista
- License: Free
- Convert more than 154 world currencies.
- Download latest currency rates as needed from Yahoo! Finance.
- Usable even when offline by using the recent downloaded rates.
- Customizable domestic currency.
- Save frequently used currency pairs as favorites.
- Remember recents currency pairs.
- Runable on an USB thumbdrive as rates are save to the removable drive.
- No installation needed.
- No need for administrator privileges.
No installation is needed. Just download and saves the executable file into your desktop or any other directories of your choice.
Starting the Utility
Double-click the executable to run the utility. Upon start up, you need to download the currency exchange rate from the Internet. You can click "Action" » "Update Exchange Rate" to start downloading the latest exchange rate. The mouse cursor will change to the hour-glass (system busy) type when extracting information from Internet. There is no need to set proxy if you are behind one, as it make use of the proxy setting uses by your browser. You can change your proxy setting using the "Internet Options" in the "Control Panel".
Saving User Setting
The utility is able to remember the setting you made. However, you need to enable it by clicking "Option" » "Save Setting Upon Exit". Your setting will be restore when you next run the utility.
Q: I cannot download the latest currency rates. When I click "YES" to download the rates, a popup tells me that the rates cannot be downloaded and ask me to check for the latest version at your website.
A: This can be due to the following reasons.
- The currency exchange rates is no longer available on the Internet. The URL might have been changed. (Solution: Check for the latest version of the software).
- The currency exchange rates source format is modified and is no longer understand by the software. (Solution: Check for the latest version of the software).
- Your internet connection maybe download or block by a firewall. (Solution: Ensure that your connection is alive and the software is not block by the firewall).
- Your internet proxy setting might be wrong. The software make use of proxy setting of Internet Explorer and not other browsers like Mozilla, FireFox or Opera. Make sure that you can browse using Internet Explorer.
Q: When I click "YES" to download the currency rates, nothing happened after a long time.
A: Check for pop-up Message Box hiding behind your existing software that you are running. It maybe waiting for you to click it.
Q: The software cannot download exchange rates on my Win95/98 system.
A: You have at least Internet Explorer 3.0 or later installed.
Q: Can I run Currency Converter on my USB thumbdrive?
A: Yes, you can. Currency Converter is able to recognise that it is running from a removable drive like a USB thumbdrive and save all settings locally on your USB drive.
In fact, when Currency Converter is running from a removable drive, its title bar will show the wording "[Removable Drive]" instead of the usual "[Desktop]".
Q: It seems that Currency Converter does not remember all my settings, favorites and recently used lists.
A: By default, Currency Converter will not save any of your settings until you ask it to. To save your settings, click "Options" and check the option "Save Settings Upon Exit".
Q: How can I prevent Currency Converter from saving settings to my computer?
A: By default, Currency Converter will not save any of your settings until you ask it to. To stop Currency Converter from saving your settings, click "Options" and uncheck the option "Save Settings Upon Exit".
Q: I have a old computer running Windows 95, can I use Currency Converter on this machine?
A: Yes, you can. We have tested Currency Converter on Windows 95 and it is running perfectly.
Q: Does Currency Converter write anything to my computer registry?
A: No, Currency Converter does not write anything to your computer registry. It saves its settings in your application data folder under its own directory in a '.ini' file.